This resource is designed to help students and graduates around the world tackle academic college English assignments, even if English is not their native language. Enjoy the abundance of guides, manuals and samples written for ESL students.
Writing a research paper: introduction and conclusion advice
Introduction and conclusion are a very important part of your research paper and determine the success of your work. They are not only important for the reader to understand your topic better but they also demand much attention and effort from the writer as well.
Helpful advice about the introduction of a research paper
- A good introduction must be engaging and compelling. This is the first impression of your paper make sure you succeed in hooking your reader here.
- Students sometimes feel impossible to move forward unless they have a perfect start. Do not fall for perfection.
- Write a significant introduction and move forward. You may edit it on alter stage if you feel the need to. If you run after perfection then a lot of your time will be wasted.
- Students also tend to write the introduction after completing the entire research work. There is nothing wrong with this approach. It will be rather helpful because you will know what you have written in the body and what the conclusion of your topic was. This will make it easier for you to write the introduction.
- The introduction of your paper should have a reasonable length and must not be very short or very long. It depends upon the length of your research paper. If you are writing a paper of ten pages then an introduction occupying three quarters of the first page would be fine. However if you are writing a 20 page paper then your introduction must be long enough to cover first two pages.
- Helpful advice about the conclusion of a research paper
- A conclusion is very important part of your paper. If you do not include a conclusion in your paper then you have wasted your time and efforts in composing the rest of the paper. It is the part that serves the purpose of your writing.
- A good and well written conclusion can even be of one paragraph as long as it addresses the problem and identifies the solution properly. Do not go on adding unnecessary details in your conclusion. It should be brief and precise
- A conclusion is the summary of your research paper but make sure it is not repetitive.
- Students should understand that this part of the paper needs to be very well composed and must be logical. It requires the student to think critically and be his own judge.